Fifteenth-century cross from Kirkapol now at Inveraray Castle

Google Map

Object Type:


(1927). Index Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 61, pp. 328–357: ‘Crucifixion on Cross now at Inveraray Castle formerly at Kirkapool’ 152, 162.

‘The head and most of the shaft of this disc-headed cross were removed from the burial-ground at Kirkapoll, Tiree, in the 19th century and re-erected in the garden south-east of the castle. The socket-stone on which it stands also came from Kirkapoll …. The centre of the disc is a representation of the Crucifixion, with a figure on either side. It is bordered by a single row of trefoil-shaped leaves. The side-arms are blank but the upper arm is decorated with St Michael slaying a dragon … The centre of the disc is carved with a stag being attacked by hounds. This is bordered by a single row of trefoil-shaped leaves. The side arms are decorated with simple patterns while the top arm bears the figure of an abbot or bishop carrying a crozier. The cross is thought to date to the second half of the 15th century. It is similar to a cross known as MacLean’s Cross, on Iona, and to a cross known as the Duncan MacMillan Cross at Kilmory Knap, Argyll, both of which date to this period. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.’

Canmore entry: “Its decorated base is inscribed ‘hec est crux fingonii abbatis et suorum filiorum fingonii et eage'”.

Island :

Township :

Current Location :

Museum Number :




Year Collected:

Collector :

Related Objects