Kilkenneth souterrain

Google Map

Object Type:


Canmore site ID 21464

2000.130.2 Photograph of John MacIntyre and his son Colin at the opened souterrain in Kilkenneth in 1918.

Goudie, G and H Dryden (1917) An Underground Gallery recently discovered in the Island of Tiree. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 51, pp. 100–108.

‘PICTISH CHIEF’S HOME. Crofter’s Plough Unearths Wonderful Ancient Dwelling.
John Macintyre, of Kilkenneth, a crofter on the Island of Tiree, has made a surprising discovery of a subterranean dwelling-place, believed to predate the arrival of Celts in the Western Isles of Scotland. His plough removed a large stone in the roof of the main passage, and he was subsequently able to investigate about 80 ft. of the building. The structure is octagonal in shape and is separated from an encompassing wall of the same shape by a passage 4ft. wide and 5 ft. high. Both roof and walls are built without mortar, yet they are very strongly put together, and many of the stones are remarkably large. This underground, encampment is, in the opinion of those qualified to judge, neither broch nor a semi-broch, but resembles rather an Eskimo dwelling, and is supposed to have been the home of a Pictish chief. It is certainly the most interesting and perfect prehistoric pile in Tiree, an island rich in Fingalian legends and tales of chieftains and battles.’ )Daily Mirror, 18 April 1916, p. 11)

Island :

Township :

Current Location :

Museum Number :



Year Collected:

Collector :

Related Objects